Pierre was away in Washington DC talking to Congress -  about ecology, we think. Avril hosted the meeting with her usual grace and humour.

The Club members who were present thanked Judy, Ross and Kahsia for all the hard work they put into the Fall Fair photography section.  Kahsia, in turn, thanked all the club volunteers who helped over the weekend. It was very successful and had more photo entries than other years. Simon was one of the judges, putting in 10 hours at least, and many appreciative comments were made (during the fair) about how every single photo received a thoughtful and helpful comment. The blown up archival photos of Salt Spring were great, as was the display of old cameras.

Suggestions for next year were to have some brochures available explaining the Photography Club - where we meet, costs and benefits of joining etc. Maybe a sign-up sheet too for interested photographers.

Photofest: Next year the Photoclub's Eclectic Visions show will overlap the Photosynthesis show so the two opening receptions won't clash on the same night. Photofest will be for the whole month of June (EV though will be for 2 weeks, as usual).Jana will talk dates with Razali but EV will likely be during the first part of June and Photosynthesis will take the middle-to-end of June. There has been interest shown by new venues and new photographers. People are hoping for a bigger event next year, now that the roots have been established.

GIFTS (Gulf Island Families Together Society) would like their own show at the GIFTS Centre (behind Artspring near the entrance to Mouat Park) to coincide with the festival. They are looking for mentors to help organise their show and donations of cameras and frames and mats. They are applying to the SS Arts Council for a grant to help with this plan. Greg Klassen's daughter  (the girl who loves to wear purple) is a member of GIFTS and Greg was quite involved with the group.

This year the 'Group of six' displayed their photos on the stage at Mahon Hall for 3 weeks in June. Next year it is up for grabs and members are asked to consider using that space. It could be for a solo show, or two people or a group. Submissions will be juried by the Arts Council. You should submit a portfolio and a bio and whatever theme you might wish to explore/show. You may be expected to give an artist's talk about your work. Applications must be in by October 31st. The SS Arts Council website will have all the information.

The Lobby Show: For the month of January in the Artspring lobby areas. There has been no charge for this up till now but Bernadette thinks they are charging groups $65 now. There will be less space available to the Club than other years so please prepare one or two photos each which will be shown if there is room. There is no theme. The wall where we previously displayed the larger pieces will not be available this year.

Pierre is asking the group (via Avril) if we would like more instructional material or speakers talking about their individual visions - for the educational component of the monthly meetings.. The consensus was that we liked both!

Doug is in charge of the bi-monthly photo display at the Country Grocer Café and is looking for interested people for next year. We start in January but will get the month of June because of Photofest and will trade that month with the Painters Guild (who display in the other months). There will be a blog about it and you can contact Doug through that. Doug suggested that 5 photos is a good number to aim for.

The View Gallery, part of the University in Nanaimo, is hosting a Photoshow from June 1st - 12th next year and we are all invited to participate. It will cost $10 per image to enter and, if selected to hang in the show, another $10.They are looking for 'straight photography' ie. not manipulated. There are 4 categories - landscape, street, macro and close up and open (portrait, wildlife, still life, sports etc.). Images must be submitted by February 15th. For more information go to : photosalon2020@hcpclub.ca

The educational part of the meeting was a panel discussion with Wendy, Doug, Simon and  Larry. Many questions were asked and answered. You have to come to these meetings to receive the gems of photographic knowledge these people have to share.

Next month's challenge is MOOD. Any mood you like and, hopefully, your image will illustrate that mood.

Views: 18

Comment

You need to be a member of SaltSpring Photography Club to add comments!

Join SaltSpring Photography Club

Comment by Curt Firestone on November 7, 2019 at 6:11am

Anna, I always keep posted through your minutes.  Thank you.  They are very complete.

Comment by Avril Kirby on October 15, 2019 at 8:49am

Thank you, Anna--well done, as usual.

August minutes

Pierre introduced the new team who will help shape the Club in the future.

Simon Henson

Larry Citra

Maggie Vancik

Roger Brooks

Maureen Milburn

Ellen Vesterdal

Justene Tedder

Plus returning executive members:

Pat Page

Kahsia Hartwell

Wendy Rosier

Anna McColm

This group will infuse some new energy and direction into the Club. Feedback from club members indicates that people would like more interactive educational activities (workshops, classes, small field trips etc.) and maybe a schedule of educational opportunities ahead of time so that people can plan to attend.

The Victoria Camera Club has an external speaker every month and are willing to share their list of speakers so we can participate, at a cost of $5 a person. The club has funds to cover this at the moment. This would require using the  Zoom format (which has worked so well during this Pandemic).

Club meetings will resume in October, giving this new group time to work out their ideas for new directions.

Some people are cautious about in person meetings (because of health issues) and others are ready and able to jump back in. Maybe in person meetings and Zoom meetings can co-exist. Something to talk about.

Maureen has offered to look into a monthly newsletter with, possibly, more coverage than the website offers such as emails, using facebook etc.

Avril would like to see an improved use of the website: more posts, more comments, more helpful critiquing. We might need a refresher course to remind us how to give constructive feedback.

Doug has a show about Covid in September at the library -  in the Community Program Room. He will give a talk on September 7th at Noon. This will be previously unseen material, not the triptychs we have seen on the website.

Photosynthesis has a virtual show coming up, starting on August 31st. Some club members also belong to this photography group.

There is no theme yet for the photography challenge in October but when that is decided it will be communicated to everyone.

Events

© 2021   Created by Wendy Rosier.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service