Eclectic Visions:-  Pierre announced the winners of the People's Choice Award.

  Kahsia and Bruce McPhee tied for first place for their hummingbird and Deer (Taste Test)  photos.

  Kim Stewart came second for her Seahorse (the old tugboat) at Dawn image.

  Simon came third for his 'On Guard' image of an owl blended into a rocky shoreline.

Wendy would like an image of each of these photos to include in her update of the Photofest website - showing highlights from the festival.

Doug McMillan won the Dinner at Hastings House draw - very fitting as he has put so much energy into the club over the years.

There was some feedback talk about the Festival. Gwen and Curt found having so many openings on the same night a bit chaotic. They felt rushed and unable to give their full attention to any one venue.  

Pierre mentioned that having wine to purchase at Photosynthesis (the other venues offered free wine) didn't work out well as very little was sold; 2 1/2 bottles. Pierre himself bought 2 glasses in order to support/justify it! Next year Photosynthesis will look for a sponsor so they can offer free wine; not Country Grocer's liquor store as they have supported Eclectic Visions for years but someone else. Maybe a Cidery?

Jean commented that some other venues included speakers. Pierre said that the Eclectic Visions committee decided to start out slow and work up to including educational speakers next year.

Sam Montelbetti (our guest speaker for the night) suggested that the Photofest map come out earlier next year. The problem this year was due to so many participants committing to the project at the last minute. A big poster with a list of participating photographers and venues would be a good addition - getting that awareness of the event out sooner.

It was suggested that people showing works in smaller places (Bed and Breakfasts, cideries, wineries, individual studios etc.) could show for the whole month of June. The larger shows (at Gallery 8 and Artspring) are restricted by costs and gallery availability and so will continue to show for two weeks in June.

Some people were unhappy at seeing the same photographers at different venues. Personally I liked that - seeing different aspects of the photographers visions and interests.

Kashia has booked the library room for next year and Pierre has booked the library display case. The Group of 6 is not going to show their work at Mahon Hall (part of Artcraft) next year so that space on the stage is available for someone else, or a group to share it. The Artcraft committee will jury any submissions.

Anna gave the 3rd Country Grocer cheque to Pat (treasurer) from the Save a Tape programme. That makes $178 to date. The box at Country Grocer is # 62 and please keep them coming.

Pierre is looking for more baggers at Country Grocer for Sunday July 21st from 10.30 - 2.30pm. 4 people are needed, preferably 5 as that extra person can give someone a bathroom break and can help seniors load their bags into their cars. Anna and Avril are sharing a shift. Judy has had to back out due to a knee injury. Fifi and Kahsia volunteered. Still looking for more participants ...Please email Jana if you can do this:  janazachariou@hotmail.ca.

Jana, after 4 years of coordinating Eclectic Visions, is going to step down for a well-earned break and the Club is looking for a replacement. Avril has sent everyone an email about this with more details. Check your inbox!

Judy is looking for more volunteers at the Photography Section of the Fall Fair. People are needed to monitor the area (no touching etc.) during viewing hours. The shifts are 11/2 - 2 hours long. Please email Judy if interested: trmcphee@shaw.ca

Seth Bercowitz passed on a message about Sophia Burke's show at Point Gallery with an opening on Thursday July 18th. The show will run until August 11th. Sophia is a former GISPA student from the Island. Point Gallery is somewhere in the South. I wanted to include their address but it's not in the phone book.

Our talk was by Sam Monlelbetti a Salt Spring raised young man now studying at Concordia University in Montreal. He participated in this year's Photofest and showed some of his work at the Salt Spring Gallery, selling 5 pieces.

He works with photograms and photography and likes to use analog photography. In the future he would like to work with a large format camera.

He talked a lot about the aspect of play in photography - feeling free and experimenting.

Next months challenge is to take photographs as if you were submitting them to National Geographic. Instead of a speaker we will watch a video on Nat. Geo photographers. Doug has sent a link of guidelines for National Geographic photographs which is helpful and interesting.

Views: 110

Comment

You need to be a member of SaltSpring Photography Club to add comments!

Join SaltSpring Photography Club

Comment by Curt Firestone on August 18, 2019 at 7:22am

I really love reading your minutes.  

Comment by Avril Kirby on July 30, 2019 at 4:02pm

Well done, Anna--comprehensive and informative.

Comment by anna mccolm on July 20, 2019 at 3:21pm

Thanks Doug. I'll change it in the minutes.

Comment by Doug McMillin on July 20, 2019 at 1:58pm

Sophia Burke (not  Sofia)

The Point Gallery
132 Beaver Point Road,
(entrance on Southridge Road)
Saltspring Island

Hours 1pm-5pm Thu-Mon until Aug 11

LINK TO CURRENT SHOW

Comment by Judy H McPhee on July 19, 2019 at 3:31pm

Great minutes.  Thanks for posting.

Judy

August minutes

Pierre introduced the new team who will help shape the Club in the future.

Simon Henson

Larry Citra

Maggie Vancik

Roger Brooks

Maureen Milburn

Ellen Vesterdal

Justene Tedder

Plus returning executive members:

Pat Page

Kahsia Hartwell

Wendy Rosier

Anna McColm

This group will infuse some new energy and direction into the Club. Feedback from club members indicates that people would like more interactive educational activities (workshops, classes, small field trips etc.) and maybe a schedule of educational opportunities ahead of time so that people can plan to attend.

The Victoria Camera Club has an external speaker every month and are willing to share their list of speakers so we can participate, at a cost of $5 a person. The club has funds to cover this at the moment. This would require using the  Zoom format (which has worked so well during this Pandemic).

Club meetings will resume in October, giving this new group time to work out their ideas for new directions.

Some people are cautious about in person meetings (because of health issues) and others are ready and able to jump back in. Maybe in person meetings and Zoom meetings can co-exist. Something to talk about.

Maureen has offered to look into a monthly newsletter with, possibly, more coverage than the website offers such as emails, using facebook etc.

Avril would like to see an improved use of the website: more posts, more comments, more helpful critiquing. We might need a refresher course to remind us how to give constructive feedback.

Doug has a show about Covid in September at the library -  in the Community Program Room. He will give a talk on September 7th at Noon. This will be previously unseen material, not the triptychs we have seen on the website.

Photosynthesis has a virtual show coming up, starting on August 31st. Some club members also belong to this photography group.

There is no theme yet for the photography challenge in October but when that is decided it will be communicated to everyone.

Events

© 2021   Created by Wendy Rosier.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service